Project Title Technical Assistance to support Government of India for Swachh Bharat Mission
Project Period 2015 to 2019
Implementing States Across India
To support the Government of India’s Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban) that is being implemented by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA), WASHi through PMU, assists the Ministry through necessary technical support to MoHUA and states / ULBs to enable them to implement the mission initiatives efficiently at the national, state and city levels, providing safe and sustainable sanitation access universally, through safe containment, collection and transportation, treatment and reuse for greatest public health impact. The Technical Assistance will focus on water and sanitation components only and will be in form of capacity building support to enable MoHUA and City level authorities in the areas of programimplementation, capacity development, monitoring, learning &evaluation, strategic communications to raise community demand for safe sanitation services & products and validation & evaluation of affordable, accessible, innovative and costeffective sanitation technologies.
The Technical Assistance is focused on:
• Build the capacity of government officials - in National, State and Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) - to design, execute and operate sustainable systems for improved sanitation and hygiene.
• Facilitate experts to evaluate and validate new and affordable sanitation solutions for all aspects of sanitation value chain in collaboration with relevant National and State agencies.
• Pilot innovative technology and creative solutions for efficient program implementation.
• Develop strong monitoring, learning and evaluation systems to support the Mission by efficiently tracking program implementation and correcting the course at the earliest wherever required.
• Develop strong project management systems and tools so that government procurement, financial management and project delivery can become more efficient.
• Ensure seamless transition of all pilots and systems developed so that MoHUA personnel can continue managing all SBM Urban activities.
This Technical Assistance facilitates MoHUA, States and ULBs in the area of capacity building, monitoring; learning and evaluation, evaluation of innovative technologies based on scientific & economic evaluation to improve consumer uptake and delivery of safe sanitation services &solutions, develop strategic communications to address behavioral barriers and raise demandfor sanitation services and disseminationof best practices from global & national experiences around sanitation service delivery as well as private sector participation for sustainable models of service